Staff learning and development
The Staff Learning and Development team (SLD) is part of the Organisational Development and Well Being team (ODW) and provides a comprehensive, tailored and systematic programme of activities, events, workshops and development programmes for Academics and Researchers which is evaluated to the University’s key strategic aims.
By providing a systematic training needs analysis we provide the provision to develop and support staff to fulfil their learning needs and develop a future focused staff workforce with capabilities and skills development to meet the 2020 vision. Find out more about personal and professional development suitable for academic and support staff by visiting the My Learning and Development staff intranet pages.
SLD has a dedicated academic development team who work and partner with key stakeholders across the University, including the CTI, to design, deliver, evaluate and support in teaching and learning activities. Key aspects of this team’s work includes:
- An open programme of academic development activities developed and delivered in conjunction with the Department of Leadership and Professional Development, Libraries and Curriculum Support, the Graduate School, Academic Enterprise, Educational Technology and external experts such as Thinkwrite, Association for Research Ethics (AfRE) and the Data Curation Centre.
- Tailored learning and development provision for faculties, including workshops, writing retreats, briefings, seminars and train the trainer.
- Supporting and advising the organisation, development, promotion and evaluation of the University’s Professional Recognition and Enhancement Scheme for Teaching and learning (PRESTige), including the Teaching and Learning Celebration event held in May each year.
- Supporting the management and review of Vitae’s HR Excellence in Research Award (HRERA)
- Supporting, advising and delivering the annual Westminster Learning and Teaching Symposium in conjunction with the Department of Leadership and Professional Development
- SLD initiated the setting up of Westminster’s first Researcher Network in 2013 which is run by a Steering Group of Researchers, offering 3 to 4 events annually. The Network and the Steering Group is supported by SLD and in June 2017 will be hosting its first conference, the Westminster Research Conference
- Developing blended learning modules such as the Personal Tutoring module launched in January 2017
Contact the SLD academic development team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership and Organisational Development team.
The University’s leadership and management development provision has been designed to provide thorough and focused development for managers and leaders within the organisation. This is delivered through, for example, short courses, longer-term programmes, some of which lead to an accredited qualification, coaching and mentoring schemes, Leadership and Management Forums, 360 feedback review, psychometric profiling, action learning sets and a Managers Toolkit online resource.
Leadership and management programmes for academic staff include:
- Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
- Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) Business Diploma
- Leadership in Action for Researchers
- Leadership for Academic Department Heads
- Aurora for women (Leadership Foundation for Higher Education)